The Australian Surfmasters Titles tore through its fourth day of competition today as age division competitors duked it out in an attempt to earn a spot into tomorrow’s final rounds.
Mitch Dawkins (Port Stephens, NSW), Damien Healy (Broadbeach, Qld), Paul Snow (Newcastle, NSW) and Matt Hurworth (Cabarita, NSW) put on impressive performances in their Over-40 Men’s quarterfinal battles, all claiming respective wins. In a similar vein to the preceding three days, Dawkins managed to post a huge heat total, mustering up a 17.90 two-wave heat total (out of a possible 20 points) for a variety of seamless hits.
After being eliminated from the event in the Over-40 Men’s division, Scott Schindler (Sawtell, NSW) managed to find a rhythm in the Over-45 Men’s quarterfinals, unloading a volley of mammoth turns. Schindler notched up an impressive 15.50 heat total to claim the win in the older division and cement himself a position in the semi-finals.
The remaining Over-45 Men’s quarterfinal battles were taken out by Neil Thompson (Trigg, WA), Paul Wayland (Coolum, Qld) Jason Frost (Palm Beach, Qld) who all cemented a position into the semi-finals.
Former Pipeline Master Robbie Page (Verges Creek, NSW) and perpetual Australian Title standout Terry Lansberg (Currimundi, Qld) both made light work of the punchy lefthanders to claim quarterfinal wins in the Over-50 Men’s division. Both surfers put on dominant displays of power surfing to score 15.25 heat totals and earn a victory alongside John Schmidenberg (Emerald Beach, NSW) and Matt Hucker (Long Jetty, NSW) who also posted wins in the remaining quarterfinals.
The 2017 Australian Surf Festival continues tomorrow from 7:30am with all shortboard champions being crowned tomorrow afternoon.
For all results and more information, please visit: www.australiansurffestival.com
2017 Australian Surf Festival – Tweed Coast, NSW, July 28-August 14
– Opening Ceremony – July 28
– Australian Surfmasters Titles – July 29-August 2
– Australian Longboard Titles – August 2-10
– Australian Logger Titles – August 3-10
– Big 4 North Star Holiday Resort & Caravan Park Australian Bodyboard Titles – August 10-14 The 2017 Australian Surf Festival is proudly supported by the NSW Government through its tourism and major events agency, Destination NSW. The event is also proudly supported by Destination Tweed, Big 4 North Star Holiday Resort & Caravan Park, bcu, Hydralyte Sports, Toyota, Pacific Longboarder, NBN, mySURF.tv, Surfing Australia and Surfing NSW.